Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Prewriting for Primary Source Workshop

My biggest concern about the research I have already done is whether or not it is the right research. I still don't completely understand what we are writing about so I haven't been to sure what I should be researching and for what. Another concern is that my topic is still rather broad. It seems like in class we have talked about how we all need to narrow down our topic and I am not sure how to narrow mine down any further to where it will still be interesting. I feel as though to narrow of a topic gets rather dull and boring. Not only is a narrow topic boring it is hard to write about. A lot of my topic is based upon other outside information so I cannot exclude that all together.

Source 1
  • My first source I believe that my first source, which is a news article I found on the library database, is a good candidate for a primary source.
  • I chose it because it seemed like a credible source, and it pertained to what I am doing my research over. It directly address my topic in that it is about how GM had to empty all their emergency funds.
  • As stated above, the source is about how GM had to empty all their funds to stay in business.
  • I noticed that this particular source was all logos, straight facts

Source 2

  • This source I got out of the money section of the Wall Street Journal. That in it self should be enough for it to qualify as a good primary source
  • I chose it once again because it pertained to my topic but it also had a lot of good information about the current auto crises.
  • This source is about how GM and other US auto makers are going to cut costs to try and bail themselves out of the current predicament they are in.
  • For being a business/money article I noticed more emotion and pathos in this article. Since there were a lot of quotes I think those are what added the more personal approach to the article.

Source 3

  • My third source is more personal stories and articles from the General Motors website. These are very primary because they are coming straight from the people being affected by this auto crises.
  • I chose this because I think it adds a good perspective on just how important this crises is. These are actual people and companies being affected.
  • The source is in general about General Motors and their financial status and how that is affecting other people who work closely with GM.
  • There is a lot of pathos associated with this website because some of these people who write these articles could possibly be out of work and whenever peoples lively hood are being threatened to be taken away people get very emotional.

2 comments:

  1. Questions: Which source provides reliable information, with consumer information? (You could try to find which website has consumer to apply this to the "audience" of the paper)
    Concerns: What is the future of GM?
    Controlling Idea: How has GM failed as a company and economically hurt the US.
    Suggestion: Connect consumer information; Mabye also find GM workers and how it has affected them and their lives

    ReplyDelete
  2. Question: which of the sources is the more reliable in terms of people affected or how GM is being economically affeted? (by people being affected i mean employees)

    Controlling Idea: How GM is being economically affected and how people around the us have been affected and how GM is affected by the current economic situation.

    Concerns: I think that your topic is a good one. I believe that narrowing it would not be good for the essay. Because you would have to cut a lot of important info about that is direcyl related to the topic.

    suggestions: I suggest you look for more sources that talking about how employees got affected. I think this is an interesting point to focus on.

    ReplyDelete