Wednesday, February 25, 2009

research experiences

Through out my research I have learned a lot about General Motors. I am researching about how GM got themselves into the predicament they are in today. I am also researching how that is effecting everyone else. I found out that GM has been in financial trouble for some time, but until last last year they sugar coated it pretty well. Not a lot of press had been issued about how GM was losing money and had been losing money for many years prior to 2008. GM had been issuing a lot of statements about how they were moving in the right direction to turn around and start having quarterly gains again. If that was the case, the financial crises of September completely killed General Motors. I haven't found statements from inside GM to see whether they were in fact moving in the right direction but even if they were they obviously weren't doing it fast enough.

As ironic as it might seem, it has been rather difficult to find stuff about GM before they began asking the government for bail out money. As I stated above, GM did a fantastic job of covering up their moderate quarterly earning for many years prior to 2008. In a lot of the articles I found they all said basically the same thing, in that, GM is losing money but no one really knows why or how.

Since most all the sources are from some sort of news periodical they all come from similar sources so most of the information says the same thing, just stated a bit differently. I am still searching on a few sources that give me a different perspective on how GM got themselves into this mess.

No comments:

Post a Comment